- Caffeine for Mac is a great utility for preventing the computer from starting its screensaver, going to sleep, or automatically dimming its screen after a period of inactivity.
- KeepingYouAwake is an unobtrusive status bar menu application for macOS designed to prevent your computer from going to sleep. The app aims at replacing the Caffeine utility developed by Lighthead Software, which has not been updated lately and does not.
- Doesn't work on Airbook 10.7.5 after multiple downloads. Have done everything else, the only way my mac stays bright is if I keep the color LCD display window OPEN on the brightest level. The minute I close it, it changes itself to the dim menu. When I open it back up, the slider is back to dim. This is with Caffeine.
Caffeine is a tiny menu bar app for Mac that prevents your display from going to sleep when the coffee icon is selected. Mac Menu Bar Apps + 1. A free lightweight IDE optimized for building UI web tests. 6 Alternatives to Caffeine.
To get the latest features and maintain the security, stability, compatibility, and performance of your Mac, it's important to keep your software up to date. Apple recommends that you always use the latest macOS that is compatible with your Mac.
Learn how to upgrade to macOS Big Sur, the latest version of macOS.
If a macOS installer can't be used on your Mac, the installer will let you know. For example, it might say that your Mac doesn't have enough free storage space for the installation, or that the installer is too old to be opened on this version of macOS.
If you want to check compatibility before downloading the installer, learn about the minimum requirements for macOS Catalina, Mojave, High Sierra, Sierra, El Capitan, or Yosemite. You can also check compatible operating systems on the product-ID page for MacBook Pro, MacBook Air, MacBook, iMac, Mac mini, or Mac Pro.
Make a backup
Before installing, it’s a good idea to back up your Mac. Time Machine makes it simple, and other backup methods are also available. Learn how to back up your Mac.
It takes time to download and install macOS, so make sure that you're plugged into AC power and have a reliable internet connection.
These installers from the App Store open automatically after you download them:
- macOS Catalina 10.15 can upgrade Mojave, High Sierra, Sierra, El Capitan, Yosemite, Mavericks
- macOS Mojave 10.14 can upgrade High Sierra, Sierra, El Capitan, Yosemite, Mavericks, Mountain Lion
- macOS High Sierra 10.13 can upgrade Sierra, El Capitan, Yosemite, Mavericks, Mountain Lion, Lion
Your web browser downloads the following older installers as a disk image named InstallOS.dmg or InstallMacOSX.dmg. Open the disk image, then open the .pkg installer inside the disk image. It installs an app named Install [Version Name]. Open that app from your Applications folder to begin installing the operating system.
- macOS Sierra 10.12 can upgrade El Capitan, Yosemite, Mavericks, Mountain Lion, or Lion
- OS X El Capitan 10.11 can upgrade Yosemite, Mavericks, Mountain Lion, Lion, or Snow Leopard
- OS X Yosemite 10.10can upgrade Mavericks, Mountain Lion, Lion, or Snow Leopard
Follow the onscreen instructions in the installer. It might be easiest to begin installation in the evening so that it can complete overnight, if needed.
If the installer asks for permission to install a helper tool, enter the administrator name and password that you use to log in to your Mac, then click Add Helper.
Please allow installation to complete without putting your Mac to sleep or closing its lid. Your Mac might restart, show a progress bar, or show a blank screen several times as it installs both macOS and related updates to your Mac firmware.
You might also be able to use macOS Recovery to reinstall the macOS you're using now, upgrade to the latest compatible macOS, or install the macOS that came with your Mac.
Caffeine for Mac is a simple app designed to do one thing and one thing only. When active, Caffeine will prevent your computer from dimming the screen, enabling screensavers, or hibernating. This function is useful in a variety of situations, and Caffeine's simplicity makes it ideal for users that need to keep their computer as awake as they are.
A cup of coffee for your computer
This app keeps your Mac awake with one simple click.
After a simple install, Caffeine's icon is added to your menu bar. From there, clicking will activate the app. Caffeine will then keep your computer awake until you click the icon again to turn it off. It performs its task without frills, and is great for keeping your Mac active during long Netflix binges, study sessions, or presentations. For users that like more control, Caffeine's sub-menu allows you to set a time frame for Caffeine to stay active. This can range from as little as 5 minutes to indefinitely.
Though Caffeine is an excellent program, users should be aware that the app's background RAM usage may affect performance at times. If you don't take advantage of the app's customization options, you could also find the small icon on the toolbar forgettable, making it easy to leave the app running unintentionally. Caffeine also has no way of preventing your computer from sleeping when it's physically closed, so if you have to do so for whatever reason you'll need to reactivate the app when you open your computer again.
Where can you run this program?
You can run Caffeine on any computer working with Mac OS X 10.5.
Is there a better alternative?
While it shines because of its simplicity, there are a few Caffeine alternatives that allow for a more in-depth experience. Amphetamine has a more detailed user interface and more features. KeepingYouAwake also functions the same, but also has the added benefit of being Open Source.
Caffeine App Download Mac
Caffeine is a bare-bones program that works exactly as designed, and is perfect for keeping your computer awake.
Caffeine App Mac
Should you download it?
Download Caffeine App
Caffeine is worth downloading whether you're a professional using your Mac for long workdays and presentations, or a more casual user streaming movies and having marathon gaming sessions.